To transmit the data without using cables, then Microwave signals are used.
Microwave signals are used for long distance communication and are similar to radio and television signals.
The microwave transmission basically consists of a transmitter, receiver, and the atmosphere.
In case of microwave communication, parabolic antennas are mounted on towers to send a beam to the other antennas tens of kilometers away. The higher the
towers means the greater the range.
With a use of tower that is 100 meter high, then distances of 100 km between the towers are feasible.
The microwave transmission is line-of-sight transmission.
Advantages of Microwave
Following are the list of some main advantages of microwave:
- Microwave provides cheaper than digging trenches for laying cables and maintaining repeaters and cables if cables get broken by a variety of causes.
- Microwave offers freedom from land acquisition rights that are required for laying, repairing the cables
- Microwave offers the ease of communication over difficult terrain
- Microwave have the ability to communicate over oceans
Disadvantages of Microwave
Following are the list of some main disadvantages of microwave:
- Microwave communication is an insecure communication
- In microwave, signals from a signal antenna may split up and propagate by slightly different paths to the receiving antenna. When these out-of-phase
signals recombine, they interfere, reducing the signal strength
- Microwave propagation is susceptible to weather effects like rains, thunder storms etc.
- In microwave, bandwidth allocation is extremely limited
- The cost of design, implementation, and maintenance of microwave links is high
Networking Online Test
Latest 5 Posts by CodesCracker