FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, is a standard for the exchange of files across the Internet.
You can also say that FTP is one of the original services on the Internet that was designed to allow for transferring files from one system to another.
Files of any type can be transferred, although you may have to specify whether the file is an ASCII or binary file. They can be transferred to any system
on the Internet provided that permissions are set accordingly.
Advantages of FTP
Here are the list of some important advantages, FTP offers:
- FTP is very useful to transfer files from one network in an organization to another
- FTP is an effective way to get a geographically dispersed group to co-operate on a project
- FTP is a potent and popular way to share information over the Internet
Objectives of FTP
Here are the main objectives of FTP (File Transfer Protocol):
- to promote sharing of files
- to encourage indirect or implicit use of remote computers
- to shield a user from variations in file storage systems among hosts
- to transfer data reliably and efficiently. FTP, though usable directly by a user at a terminal, is designed mainly for use by programs
Networking Online Test
Latest 5 Posts by CodesCracker