HTML Data Types Defined by W3C Specifications
« Previous Tutorial
Next Tutorial »
W3C is an international community that develops standards to ensure long-term growth of the Web.
W3C Specifies the following five additional data types for HTML :
- Red Green Blue (RGB) triplet
- Color names
- Link types
- Media type
HTML DateTime Format
DateTime uses ISO date format (ISO 8601), that is (YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssTZD). The components of the given format are defined in the following manner :
- YYYY - Represents a year in four digits, such as 1995 and 2009
- MM - Represents a two-digits numerical value of months (01 through 12)
- DD - Represents the date of the month (01 through 31)
- T - Acts as the separator between the date and time and it must be written in capital letters
- hh - Represents the hour that ranges from 00 through 23
- mm - Represents the minutes that range from 00 through 59
- ss - Represents the second that ranges from 00 through 59
- TZD - Stands for Time Zone Designator (Z or +hh:mm or -hh:mm)
HTML RGB Triplet
RGB triplet represents three standard colors, which are Red, Green, and Blue. All the possible colors can be formed with the combination of these three colors
in different intensities and proportions.
All colors can be represented by a six digit hexadecimal number, such as (xxyyzz), where :
- The first two consecutive digits (xx) of the hexadecimal number represent red. The hexadecimal equivalence of Red color is #xx0000
- The second two consecutive digits (yy) represent green. The hexadecimal equivalence of green is represent by #00yy00
- The last two digits (zz) represent blue. The hexadecimal equivalence is represented by 0000zz
HTML Color Names
In HTML, 16 colors can be called directly by their color names rather than their hexadecimal values. This feature makes it easy for the users of HTML to call
a color by its name, if they are unware of its hexadecimal number and the concept of the RGB triplet. To get code of all colors, then
refer HTML Color Codes.
Name of 16 Colors
Following table represents 16 colors names along with their hexadecimal values :
HTML Link Types
Link types are used to provide a variety of information to search engine. You may use the various recognized link types, with their conventional interpretations.
These link types are not case-sensitive, which implies that you can use both the lower case and the upper case characters to represent a link type.
The whitespace characters such as space, tab, carriage-return, linefeed, formfeed, vertical-tab, and newline characters are not permitted within link types.
There are the following link types available in HTML :
- Alternate - Refers to the substitute for the document in which the link occurs. When used with the lang attribute, the alternate link type represents
the translated version of the current document. When used with the media attribute, it represents the version, which is designed for a different media.
- Style Sheet - Represents the external style sheet. You can select a style from alternate style sheets by using the style sheet and alternate link
- Start - Represents the first document among the collection of different documents. The start link type provides information about the initial
document to the search engine.
- Next - Represents the next document in the linear set of documents
- Prev - Represents the previous document in the linear set of documents
- Contents - Represents the document having the table of content
- Index - Represents the document having the index
- Glossary - Represents the document having glossary
- Copyright - Represents the document having the copyright statement
- Chapter - Represents the chapter of a collection of documents
- Section - Represents the section of a collection of documents
- Subsection - Represents the subsection of a collection of documents
- Appendix - Represents the appendix of a collection of documents
- Help - Represents the document with the help feature
- Bookmark - Represents the bookmark
HTML Media Types
Media types enables us to specify how to present the HTML documents on different media, such as paper, computer's screen, or an aural browser. HTML5 allows
us to use the CSS properties to display the text of an HTML page in different font types, colors, and font sizes for different media.
There are the following available media types :
- screen - Represents a computer screen
- tty - Represents media using a fixed pitch character grid with limited display capabilities
- tv - Represents a television
- projection - Represents a projector
- handheld - Represents hand-held devices, such as mouse, joy stick, and keyboard
- print - Represents the print preview mode
- aural - Represents the speech synthesizer
- all - Represents the media type that is suitable for all the devices
HTML Online Test
« Previous Tutorial
Next Tutorial »